Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fresh From the Flames

More Scotties, one gray and one white.

Below the pups are some test beads. Quite a while ago I got a sampler of several different frits from Double Helix. When I first got them I ran a test with each frit and made several spacers for each, a black, a white, an ivory and a clear. But since then I haven't done much with them at all. The test beads are hanging above my torch for reference and I've pulled one out on occasion but not often.
This time I decided to test the frits more extensively one at a time. So I made full size lentil beads. I make my lentils by making a small barrel shape the width of the press, I put frit on that first layer, reduced it and then encased it with the same color, filling out the rest of the bead before pressing for the lentil shape. On the first two I made (the aqua and the cobalt), I rolled the finished bead in the frit again before pressing. The rest have only the encased frit.
I used the Double Helix Nyx frit on (from the top down) medium blue, medium amber, lavender (yeah, I know it looks blue but it's that one that changes color with the light), light grass green, cobalt blue, light aqua.
The verdict? I like them all. The cobalt and the medium blue are very subtle. The grass green is the most striking. The aqua and the lavender are my personal favorites. The amber has almost an animal look to it.

Don't forget - my next show is the Arts Market of New Orleans in Palmer Park on the corner of S Carrollton and S Claiborne on Saturday, August 29 from 10am to 4pm.

Till later - Flame On!

No comments: