Tuesday, November 11, 2008

DebiDeaux Visits Fire Mountain Gems

While in Grants Pass, Oregon this past week, Hubby and I got a chance to tour Fire Mountain Gems. Our tour guide, Jessica, took us all through the facility. I am quite impressed at the enormity of the operation. I did not realize that there is no actual store front. That is what we were looking for. It's mail order (phone and internet) only.
The highlight of the visit was meeting the acknowledged "Queen of Jewelry Design", Marlynn McNutt. Her compliments for beads in the bracelet I was wearing was enough to make me gush like a schoolgirl. I was walking on air the rest of the day.
From Bracelets 0308
Marlynn made me aware of Fire Mountain Gem's Circle of Hope Breast Cancer Awareness necklace, a way to raise money and awareness for the fight against breast cancer. Since she seemed to especially like my curly disc beads I will be making several of these to donate for the necklace for 2009.
I think that what has left the biggest impression of all is the fact that the employees at Fire Mountain Gems seemed to be content and enjoy their jobs. Everyone was open and friendly, glad to see us and not a single grump in the bunch. To me that is one of the best signs of a well run company that values people not just profit. That is where I like to see my money go.
Thank you FMG!
Till later - Flame On!
DebiDeaux

2 comments:

Bea said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

And I love the bracelet, too....Marlynn was right -- it's gorgeous!

Dave Robertson said...

Hi, thanks for sharing about your trip - I'm so glad you'll be donating beautiful beads for a good cause! See you on your next road trip? (Sounds like you might be able to drive to Spokane!!) :-)

--Dave
at Rings & Things