Friday, February 06, 2009

My Carlisle Mini CC Torch

My most valued tool outside of my own imagination is, of course, my torch. I use a Carlisle Mini CC. I purchased my Mini CC from ArrowSprings

I've found that ArrowSprings has one of the best selections and reasonable prices of glass and supplies. And on the phone they are very knowledgable and extremely helpful if you have a problem. But their online order services are less than stellar. Many times I've placed an order online, then, thinking it should be arriving any time, I get a phone call that they are out of an item. Now I can understand running out but it takes them several days to get back to you about it. Once it was more than a week later before I got the call. So, if you are in a hurry either place your order by phone or go elsewhere.

Another little note about my torch - When I started teaching flameworking at NOCGI I had a bit of discombobulation because the Mini CC's they use are a newer version than mine and the control knobs for gas and oxy are reversed. It takes a little getting used to when I first sit down to one of NOCGI's torches but when I think about it the change is definately for best since I am right handed. However, it's not enough for me to want to give my baby up.

I wanted to note here that I LOVE my torch. I don't have a lot to compare to other than a few short sessions on a very old Nortel Minor and of course my beginner's hothead (which I still have).

I had a few problems with my Mini CC in the beginning - but most of those were due to my own inexperience. Now that I have become familiar with the settings on the regulator and keeping the nozzle clean with piano wire the flame on my torch is perfect.

What I truly love about my Mini CC is that I can turn up the heat and work hot and fast and even work boro glass (although I rarely do) and I can still turn the flame down to a pinpoint to work fine detail on a sculptural piece. If you ask me if I would buy another Mini CC I would say unequivicably: YES.

I've seen others write that the Mini CC's main drawback is the fact that the body gets quite hot after a short time. I don't really view this as a drawback. I have a torch-mounted marver on my torch and the heat there is very handy for keeping pieces of glass warm for attaching.

I'd love to hear what others have to say about this wonderful little torch so please leave a comment and let us all know what you think.

I think I will discuss my oxygen concentrator next unless I get a request. If you are just starting your studio please let me know.

Till later - Flame On!

If you click on the pic it will take you to the full size photos of my studio on Picasa - This one is the most recent and still I've moved a few things around since taking it but this is still the basic setup.

From DebiDeaux at Work

1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautiful shop...
& thank you for sharing your knowledge...

mona
& the gaffer girls